Department of Condensed Matter Physics at the Faculty of Science Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic, is seeking for the project QM4ST - Quantum materials for applications in sustainable technologies CZ.02.01.01/00/22_008/0004572 a Postdoctoral Research Associate, who will conduct research in experimental condensed matter physics with a focus on x-ray scattering studies of advanced materials, including epitaxial thin films of topological insulators, organic semiconductors, and ferroelectrics thin films. The research activities will include the characterization of thermally induced phase transitions and in-situ real-time experiments during thin films growth. The research will be performed at the Department of Condensed Matter Physics, Masaryk University, at CEITEC Nano Infrastructure (both in Brno) and synchrotron facilities. Our local laboratories are equipped with state-of-the-art x-ray diffractometers and high and low-temperature chambers for in-situ experiments. In addition to x-ray diffractometers, CEITEC Nano Infrastructure, which is the joint, national, single-sited research infrastructure of the Central European Institute of Technology at the Brno University of Technology (CEITEC BUT) and Faculty of Science, Masaryk University (see https://www.sci.muni.cz/en
), allows us access to a large variety of characterization and sample preparation techniques, e.g. SEM, TEM, AFM, ellipsometry, and molecular-beam deposition in UHV, nano-litography etc., used by our team. As a team member, the post-doc is supposed to participate in synchrotron measurements as we regularly perform experiments at several synchrotrons across Europe (e.g. ESRF, DESY, BESSYII, Solaris, and SLS).
Job Description - Key Duties
•• To perform x-ray scattering measurements on selected advanced materials
• To analyze the data using phenomenological models and/or to design related new experimental setups, eventually to help to develop software for x-ray data analysis
• To write papers for publication in peer-reviewed journals
• To present his/her results at international conferences
The successful candidate should:
• Be a researcher who has received a PhD or its equivalent in experimental condensed matter physics or a related field of study from an internationally recognized university within the last seven years
• Have a publishing record – in the last three years, at least two publication outputs registered in the Thomson Reuters Web of Science, Scopus or ERIH PLUS databases
• Have a strong background in Solid-State Physics
• Have experience with x-ray scattering and evaluation of scientific data
• Have good communication skills (oral and written) in English
• An attractive salary condition
• An interesting job in a dynamically expanding university area
• A professional team and pleasant working conditions
• Interaction with leading scientists in an inspiring environment
• Diverse and challenging work in an excellent research environment
• Flexible working hours and occasional home office to support personal needs in family and career compatibility
• Employee benefits such as six weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution or nursery/children´s group allowance, a financial meal allowance, lunches in canteens of MU, Multisport card, vaccinations free of charge, discounted language courses, exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone, childcare groups at Campus and Komenského náměstí)
• Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city (for more information on costs of living, you can refer to www.numbeo.com
• Welcome Office provides support with your relocation to Brno
• Faculty of Science MU is a proud holder of the European Commission's HR Excellence in Research Award.
The application shall be submitted online by 13 November 2023 via an e-application; please find the reference to the e-application here: https://www.muni.cz/en/about-us/careers/vacancies/76769
Expected start date: January 2024
Job status: Full-time
Type of contract: Temporary with the possibility of extension
The candidate shall provide the following:
• CV including a summary of education and research experience, publication activity, involvement in research grants, etc.
• A scanned copy of the PhD diploma or an official letter certifying submission of a doctoral thesis for thesis defense and the planned defense date
• Cover letter describing candidate's research interest and experience
• At least two reference letters or names and contact details of at least two references
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with the principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers. Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or online interview.