Department of Condensed Matter Physics at the Faculty of Science Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic, is seeking for the project QM4ST - Quantum materials for applications in sustainable technologies CZ.02.01.01/00/22_008/0004572 a Postdoctoral Research Associate, who will conduct research in Experimental Condensed Matter physics with focus on the magnetism of oxide thin films, including nanostructures.
The main research topics are the magnetism of semiconducting oxides, magnetic phase transitions in transition metal oxides, and spintronics. The research will be performed at the Department of Condensed Matter Physics, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University (https://www.sci.muni.cz/en
), using, in particular, the Pulsed Laser Deposition (PLD) system, the Vibration-Sample Magnetometry (VSM) system and X-ray laboratories at CEITEC Nano Infrastructure. CEITEC Nano Infrastructure is the joint, national, single-sited research infrastructure of the Central European Institute of Technology at the Brno University of Technology (CEITEC BUT) and Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, see http://www.nano.ceitec.cz
Job Description - Key Duties
• To participate in selecting specific problems (this will be done together with professors of the Department of Condensed Matter Physics)
• To use and to be responsible for the PLD system, joining to assisting both graduated and undergraduate students in using the PLD
• To perform VSM, XRD, XAS and XMCD measurements on selected advanced materials and to analyze the data using simulations if possible
• To write papers for publication in peer-reviewed journals
• To present his/her results at international conferences
The successful candidate should:
• Be a researcher who has received a PhD or its equivalent in Experimental Condensed Matter Physics or a related field of study from an internationally recognized university
• Have a good publishing record – in the last three years, at least two publications registered in the Web of Science or Scopus databases
• Have a strong background in Solid-State Physics and Materials Science
• Have an experience of at least two years in using PLD
• Good communication skills (oral and written) in English
• An attractive salary condition
• An interesting job in a dynamically expanding university area
• A professional team and pleasant working conditions
• Interaction with leading scientists in an inspiring environment
• Diverse and challenging work in an excellent research environment
• Flexible working hours and occasional home office to support personal needs in family and career compatibility
• Employee benefits such as six weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution or nursery/children´s group allowance, a financial meal allowance, lunches in canteens of MU, Multisport card, vaccinations free of charge, discounted language courses, exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone, childcare groups at Campus and Komenského náměstí)
• Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city (for more information on costs of living, you can refer to www.numbeo.com
• Welcome Office provides support with your relocation to Brno
• Faculty of Science MU is a proud holder of the European Commission's HR Excellence in Research Award.
The application shall be submitted online by 13 November 2023 via an e-application; please find the reference to the e-application here: https://www.muni.cz/en/about-us/careers/vacancies/76768
Expected start date: January 2024
Job status: Full-time
Type of contract: Temporary with the possibility of extension
The candidate shall provide the following:
• CV including a summary of education and research experience, publication activity, involvement in research grants, etc.
• A scanned copy of the PhD diploma or an official letter certifying submission of a doctoral thesis for thesis defense and the planned defense date
• Cover letter describing candidate's research interest and experience
• At least two reference letters or names and contact details of at least two references
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with the principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers. Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or online interview.