University of Doha for Science and Technology (UDST) is the first national applied University in the State of Qatar, offering applied Bachelors and Master’s degrees in addition to certificates and diplomas in various fields. UDST has over 50 programs in the fields of Engineering Technology and Industrial Trades, Business Management, Computing and Information Technology, Health Sciences, Continuing and Professional Education and more.
With more than 600 staff and over 6,000 students, UDST is the destination for top-notch applied and experiential learning. The University is recognized for its student-centered learning and state-of-the-art facilities. Our faculty are committed to delivering pedagogically-sound learning experiences with incorporation of innovative technological interventions, to further enhance students’ skills and help develop talented graduates that can effectively contribute to a knowledge-based economy and make Qatar’s National Vision 2030 a reality.
The College of Engineering Technology invites applications for positions of Electrical Engineering & Renewable Energy faculty at Associate Professor, Assistant Professor ranks.
Reporting to the Head of the Department, you will be responsible for the development, delivery, and evaluation of a broad range of courses within the Electrical Engineering and related diploma and degree programs. You will evaluate student progress and manage the resources of the learning environment. The successful candidate will liaise with industry and other educational institutions; participate in industry advisory committees and coordinate, manage, and supervise final year/capstone projects within the specified program area.
You will also be involved in applied research activities/projects with the industry in the following areas:
• Power Systems
• Smart Grid
• Power Electronics
• Electrical Machines and Drives
• System Protection and Control
• Renewable Energy Systems
• Sensors and Internet of Things
You will keep course portfolio documents required for program review and accreditation processes and engage in instructional development as well as new program development. The College encourages applications from research-active faculty who will also contribute to the enhancement of applied research and innovation.
Education and Experience Requirements
Faculty members will be placed in the appropriate rank based on their education and experience. The broad criteria are noted below.
For Associate Professor and Assistant Professor
• A PhD in Electrical Engineering or a closely related field is required; specifically, in Power Systems, Electrical Machines and Drives, Power Electronics or Renewable Energy from a recognized, accredited institution.
• Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or a closely related field is required; specifically, in Power Systems, Electrical Machines and Drives, Power Electronics or Renewable Energy from a recognized, accredited institution.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or a closely related field is required; specifically, in Power Systems, Electrical Machines and Drives, Power Electronics or Renewable Energy from a recognized, accredited institution.
• Demonstrated record of academic experience.
• A minimum of five (5) years of teaching experience in higher education, adult training or industry training environment.
• A minimum of 3 years of relevant industrial experience.
• Demonstrated competence with curriculum development, implementation, and evaluation.
• Demonstrated use diverse and current teaching approaches in the classroom and for practice experiences including the laboratory, simulation, and practicums.
• Demonstrated ability to use a variety of educational technology and platforms.
• Demonstrated academic and information literacy skills.
Scholarship and Research
• Contribution to the advancement of knowledge through applied research, scholarship, publications, knowledge transfer or professional practice which would be expected to be international in its scope.
• Professional recognition and standing amongst peers.
• Academic subject leadership or academic management.
• Preference given to candidates with demonstrated contribution to curriculum development and to teaching and learning.
Other required skills
• Commitment to applied and experiential learning as a pedagogy and a key feature of UDST’s mandate.
• Ability to design, develop, deliver, and evaluate authentic learning experiences and assessments incorporating contemporary tools and resources to maximize content learning in context and to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes identified in program outcomes.
• Digital literacy and demonstrated fluency in technology systems, and an ability to model and facilitate use of current and emerging digital tools to support research and learning.
• Demonstrated ability to develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable students to be active participants in their own learning.
• Commitment to the effectiveness, vitality, and self-renewal of the teaching profession through self-driven continuous professional development and life-long learning.
• Effective oral and written communication skills.
• Collaborative and collegial spirit and a demonstrated ability to establish rapport with learners, colleagues, sponsor-employers, and members of the community.
• Experience in leadership and innovation in technology-based projects.
How to Apply
Applicants must meet all essential qualifications in order to be shortlisted for the position; other qualifications may be a deciding factor in selection. Qualifications and experience will be assessed through your application, which may include but not be limited to curricula vitae, cover letters, references, teaching dossiers and sample publications. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide appropriate examples that illustrate how s/he meets each requirement. Failing to do so could result in the application being rejected. We thank all applicants for applying for the role; only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.