University of Doha for Science and Technology (UDST) is the first national applied University in the State of Qatar, offering applied Bachelors and Master’s degrees in addition to certificates and diplomas in various fields. UDST has over 50 programs in the fields of Engineering Technology and Industrial Trades, Business Management, Computing and Information Technology, Health Sciences, Continuing and Professional Education and more.
With more than 600 staff and over 6,000 students, UDST is the destination for top-notch applied and experiential learning. The University is recognized for its student-centered learning and state-of-the-art facilities. Our faculty are committed to delivering pedagogically-sound learning experiences with incorporation of innovative technological interventions, to further enhance students’ skills and help develop talented graduates that can effectively contribute to a knowledge-based economy and make Qatar’s National Vision 2030 a reality.
The College of General Education invites applications for positions Communications faculty at Associate Professor, Assistant Professor, Senior Lecturer, Lecturer ranks.
Reporting to the Head of the Department, you will plan, develop, and deliver courses in English Communication to students enrolled in a variety of College programs. You will evaluate student progress and manage the resources of the learning environment. In the framework of cross-school collaboration initiatives, you will participate in industry advisory committees and coordinate, manage and control projects within the specified program area. You will keep course portfolio documents required for program review and accreditation processes and engage in instructional development as well as new program development. The College encourages applications from research-active faculty who will also contribute to the enhancement of applied research and innovation.
Education and Experience Requirements
Faculty members will be placed in the appropriate rank based on their education and experience. The broad criteria are noted below.
For Associate Professor and Assistant Professor
A PhD in English, Linguistics (ESL, TESOL), Writing Studies, (Technical) Communication, Rhetoric and Writing, or a related program of study from a recognized, accredited institution.
• Demonstrated record of academic experience.
• A minimum of five (5) years of teaching experience in higher education, adult training or industry training environment.
• Industrial experience as a practitioner/professional within the relevant discipline is welcome.
• Demonstrated competence with curriculum development, implementation, and evaluation.
Scholarship and Research
• Contribution to the advancement of knowledge through applied research, scholarship, publications, knowledge transfer or professional practice which would be expected to be international in its scope.
• Professional recognition and standing amongst peers.
• Academic subject leadership or academic management.
• Preference given to candidates with demonstrated contribution to curriculum development and to teaching and learning.
For Senior Lecturer and Lecturer
• A Master’s Degree in English, Linguistics (ESL, TESOL), Writing Studies, (Technical) Communication, Rhetoric and Writing, or a related program of study from a recognized, accredited institution.
• A minimum of three (3) years full-time teaching experience in upper secondary, post-secondary, or higher education institution.
• A mix of academic and professional experience is welcome.
• Demonstrated ability to use a variety of educational technology and platforms.
• Demonstrated academic and information literacy skills.
Scholarship and Research
Contribution to the advancement of knowledge through applied research, scholarship, publications, knowledge transfer or professional practice which would be expected to be international in its scope.
Other required skills
• Commitment to applied and experiential learning as a pedagogy and a key feature of UDST’s mandate.
• Ability to design, develop, deliver, and evaluate authentic learning experiences and assessments incorporating contemporary tools and resources to maximize content learning in context and to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes identified in program outcomes.
• Digital literacy and demonstrated fluency in technology systems, and an ability to model and facilitate use of current and emerging digital tools to support research and learning.
• Demonstrated ability to develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable students to be active participants in their own learning.
• Commitment to the effectiveness, vitality, and self-renewal of the teaching profession through self-driven continuous professional development and life-long learning.
• Effective oral and written communication skills.
• Collaborative and collegial spirit and a demonstrated ability to establish rapport with learners, colleagues, sponsor-employers, and members of the community.
• Experience in leadership and innovation in technology-based projects.
How to Apply
Applicants must meet all essential qualifications in order to be shortlisted for the position; other qualifications may be a deciding factor in selection. Qualifications and experience will be assessed through your application, which may include but not be limited to curricula vitae, cover letters, references, teaching dossiers and sample publications. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide appropriate examples that illustrate how s/he meets each requirement. Failing to do so could result in the application being rejected. We thank all applicants for applying for the role; only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.