The Moredun Group is seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral scientist to join our Vaccines and Diagnostics Department at the world leading Moredun Research Institute.
Infectious diseases in livestock are a major animal welfare issue and cost the pig industry millions of pounds every year through both morbidity and mortality. Investigating emergent and re-emergent infectious pathogens is essential to understand the pathogenesis and economic impact of infectious diseases. Our goal is to assess pathogenesis and control of livestock pathogens through intervention with novel vaccines or food supplements.
The successful candidate will join a multi-disciplinary team to use diverse in vitro and in vivo approaches including development of molecular diagnostic assays, propagation, sequencing and cloning of viruses, bacteria or their main proteins and measuring humoral and cellular responses to infection. The post-holder may be required to develop or adapt methods to solve problems and meet experimental objectives.
The successful applicant will have:
• A PhD in Microbiology, Immunology or Virology or MSc with relevant experience in this area
• Solid Knowledge and experience in propagating viruses
• Good knowledge in basic and molecular virology work (for example sequencing, PCR, phylogenetic analysis, infectious clone production, protein expression or others)
• A good record of publishing in scientific journals
How to apply
To apply, please complete the application form and email the completed form to [email protected]
In addition to access to training and development opportunities, you will access to:
• Competitive pension scheme – employee contribution minimum of 3%. Moredun will contribute up to a maximum of 15%.
• Group Life Assurance Scheme and an Income Protection Scheme
• Flexi-time system
• 6 weeks annual leave plus 7 days public holidays and a privilege day
• Free access to an Employee Assistance Programme
• Benefits platform offering discounts at various retailers
• On site café
The Moredun Group operates a number of policies including access to a family healthcare scheme and flexible working arrangements. We are also proud to have a Gold Award for the Healthy Working Lives and work hard to promote a healthy lifestyle.
We are committed to creating a positive and inclusive environment, respecting equality and diversity and encouraging good relations. We welcome applications from people irrespective of their age, sex, religion or belief, race, disability or sexual orientation.