Are you an ambitious researcher looking for your next challenge? Do you have an established background in quantum cascade lasers, terahertz science or micro-fabrication? Do you want to further your career in one of the UK’s leading research-intensive universities?
We seek a post-doctoral research fellow to join a large five-year, collaborative, EPSRC-funded project. This exciting three-year position will give you the opportunity to work at the forefront of our rapidly growing field. You will focus on the fabrication and characterisation of high-performance terahertz (THz) quantum cascade lasers (QCLs) with the aim of increasing the maximum operating temperature in continuous-wave (CW) mode. This will be achieved through a combination of active region design optimisation; advanced fabrication techniques, including wafer-bonding and dry-etching; and simulation and engineering of the device thermal management. The applications for this work include high precision spectroscopy and high-speed wireless communications.
You will join a world-leading terahertz group at the University of Leeds, with state-of-the-art facilities, including dedicated molecular beam epitaxy growth, the recently commissioned 800 m2 Leeds Nanotechnology Cleanroom, and extensive terahertz experimental facilities. You will also collaborate with other members of the consortium including in the Cavendish Laboratory, Cambridge and University College, London.
What we offer in return
• 26 days holiday plus approx.16 Bank Holidays/days that the University is closed by custom (including Christmas) – That’s 42 days a year!
• Generous pension scheme plus life assurance– the University contributes 21.6% of salary
• Health and Wellbeing: Discounted staff membership options at The Edge, our state-of-the-art Campus gym, with a pool, sauna, climbing wall, cycle circuit, and sports halls.
• Personal Development: Access to courses run by our Organisational Development & Professional Learning team, and self-development courses including languages, Creative Writing, Wellbeing Therapies and much more.
• Access to on-site childcare, shopping discounts and travel schemes are also available.
• And much more!
To explore the post further or for any queries you may have, please contact Dr Joshua Freeman, Associate Professor, Email: [email protected]
Closing date: Sunday 4 December 2022.
To apply for this role online, please visit our website.