We are a purpose-driven, deep-tech company who have recently spun out of Deep Science Ventures: our team works to deliver a novel material that will mitigate CO2 emissions from buildings. Our technology will help the construction industry make our homes energy efficient with an insulation material that is highly thermally performing and at the same time, non-combustible – imperative in the wake of the 2017 Grenfell tower disaster.
Based in labs either in London or Durham area (with the opportunity to travel to both); we are seeking an ambitious and talented synthetic chemist to lead the development of novel synthesis for the production of nanoporous inorganic aerogel materials. You will be responsible for the development, optimisation and improvement of synthetic pathways as well as over-seeing their analytical analysis whether on-site or outsourced.
As the lead chemist at an early stage, VC-funded start-up, you will work with an incredibly fast paced company and have significant ownership over its scientific direction. You will get ongoing support from both the senior management team (PhD Chemistry) as well as company advisors (Professors / Post-Docs). A background in aerogel synthesis is highly desirable, but applicants with a background in a relevant domain and the willingness to learn exceptionally quickly are also welcomed to apply.
• PhD/post-doc in inorganic synthesis – strong laboratory experience – required
• Knowledge of aerogels or analogous materials – beneficial
• Knowledge of silica based chemistry – beneficial
• Excited to join a young, fast-moving start-up team
• Looking to grow with the company through rapid expansion
• Quick to learn, pick up and critically evaluate information
• Ability to keep accurate and diligent records required
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Oversight of new synthesis methodologies
• Oversight of optimisation of synthesis for core parameters
• Some large lab-scale production of materials (Litre scale) for testing
• Analysis of materials both in lab and outsourced.
• Writing up laboratory results in a coherent manner and presenting to management and investors
• Meet project and production deadlines.
Salary will be at competitive post-doc rates for the local area and dependent on experience.
There will also be equity options as part of a employee share option pool.
Please send CV and cover letter to [email protected]
The application process is ongoing - so your application will be assessed as soon as it is submitted.