We are looking for a researcher to join us in the Bio-Ontology Research Group (BORG) at the Computational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC) at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) in Saudi Arabia. The BORG, headed by Professor Robert Hoehndorf, is known for pioneering several methods that utilize formal ontologies and logics for data analysis in life science. The group is developing some of the world’s leading systems for protein function prediction, finding gene-disease association, and identifying causative variants in genomic sequences.
Get to know us:
Whom are we looking for exactly?
We are looking for researchers who have completed their Ph.D. in the past four years, or will complete their Ph.D. in the next six months, and who have an ambition to advance their academic career through world class research in data science with a focus on the life sciences. Successful candidates will have experience, demonstrated by publications in leading conferences or journals, in the development or application of methods in data science or artificial intelligence with focus on biology or biomedicine. In addition, candidates will be able to develop and implement data analysis methods that can utilize very large datasets such as those available in life sciences.
What are the requirements for the positions?
• A completed Ph.D. degree (in Computer Science or related), completed in the last 4 years.
• Proficiency in spoken and written English.
• Experience, demonstrated by a publication record, in one of the following areas:
• Machine Learning, Data Mining, Statistics, Data Science
• Semantic Technologies and Ontologies, Knowledge Representation, Formal Logic
• Development of novel methods in Bioinformatics or Biomedical data analytics
What can we offer?
• A dynamic work environment in a young research group focusing on applications of Artificial Intelligence in life sciences.
• Access to world-class compute infrastructure, including the Shaheen 2 Cray XC40 supercomputer, and dedicated machine learning systems.
• Access to unique samples and datasets that enable us to address some of the most challenging problems in biology and medicine.
• An international, highly diverse university campus and housing by the Red Sea, with activities ranging from relaxing at the beach to golfing to diving with whale sharks.
• A competitive salary (commensurate with the applicant's qualifications), free, fully-furnished housing on the KAUST campus (with less than 10 minutes travel time to and from work), free medical and life insurance, and free education at KAUST School for thepostdoctoral researcher’s children.
KAUST will be responsible for the actual recruiting decision, appointment offers and employment benefits.
How to apply:
To apply, please send an email to Robert Hoehndorf ([email protected]
) including a brief motivation letter, CV, and the names and contact details of two references. Please use "Application for postdoctoral position in Biomedical Data Science" as subject of your email.