UKRI Innovation/Rutherford Fellowships
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Medical Research Council
We are looking for Postdoctoral Scientists with an interest in computational methods to join groups at the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB), to work within programmes broadly aimed at understanding the molecular determinants of disease. Specifically to undertake research to investigate biological pathways or mechanisms, or to identify new therapeutic candidates, or to characterise potential molecular targets or possible routes for intervention.
• To undertake research in the area of informatics or computational biology.
• To identify, develop and apply a broad range of techniques to pursue the research objectives.
• To present scientific work at seminars within the Laboratory and at external meetings.
• To contribute to Laboratory-wide discussions on developments within the field.
• To draft scientific papers, and contribute to the overall preparation of research for publication.
• To contribute to the LMB’s mission in the public engagement of science, and the translation of research findings into improvements in health care.
• To assist in the training of PhD Students and other members of the LMB.
Within the overall direction of the programme, the Group, the remit of the project and in discussion with the Group Leader, you will make a significant input into determining the direction of the project within a three year lifespan.
To plan your own work and objectives on a 12 month basis and manage your experimental work within the project along with your Supervisor.
To work with limited supervision to identify, develop, modify and apply the necessary techniques to achieve the goals of the project.
To introduce and apply new techniques across a wide range of disciplines and to have the creativity and initiative to develop novel approaches and methods where required.
To ensure the research is carried out in accordance with good practice and in compliance with local policies and legal requirements.
To contribute to the smooth running of the Group, including the effective use of resources, training of others and taking responsibility for use of communal facilities.
To enhance your research and generic skills through a tailored development programme.
You will report to the Group Leader and will interact and collaborate with other Postdoctoral Scientists, Research Support Staff and Students, not only in your Group, but also across the LMB and with external Groups as necessary.
This is a three year training and development position for a Postdoctoral Scientist who has recently completed their doctoral studies, is moving into a new research discipline or has limited experience of key transferable skills. We support Postdoctoral Scientists with a range of formal and on-the-job training, including:
• MRC training courses.
• External training and personal development courses.
• One-to-one training with your Supervisor and other Scientists.
You will commit to undertaking the following:
• Developing and following a personal development plan.
• Attending training courses.
• Identifying additional training which will support you to develop your career.
The above lists are not exhaustive and you are required to undertake such duties as may reasonably be requested within the scope of the post. All employees are required to act professionally, co-operatively and flexibly in line with the requirements of the post and the MRC.