Postdoc position in Biogeochemical cycling of Cd in soil-plant continuum from stable isotope perspectives
Department of Environmental Geosciences, Czech University of Life Sciences
The environmental geochemistry of Cd at the soil-plant interface is of high interest with respect to the understanding of Earth’s global Cd cycle. Significant mass-dependent fractionation of Cd isotopes can occur during various biogeochemical processes (e.g. evaporation, precipitation, adsorption and biological activity) allowing us the use of Cd isotopes for tracing biogeochemical processes. Moreover, synchrotron techniques have become key components for studying the mechanisms involved in metal uptake and metabolism in plants in the terms of the Cd chemical forms. We propose an innovative approach allowing deciphering and tracing the Cd behaviour in the soil-plant system using a combination of Cd isotope analyses with the Cd speciation determined by synchrotron techniques.
You will work in our well-equipped laboratories as well as manage and operate pilot demonstration field sites, and your activities will proceed in close collaboration with our international colleagues (co-mentor will be Dr. Gildas Ratie, Géochimiste chez Université d'Orléans).
• PhD in Environmental Sciences or related field obtained within the last 7 years (extensions due to parental leave are available).
• Good command of spoken and written English.
• Demonstrable contribution to the production of peer-reviewed scientific outputs
• Sufficient scientific background related to biogechemistry and isotope geochemistry,
• The following skill(s) will be advantageous (experience with laboratory instruments and chromatographic column separations, analytical chemistry and plant physiology).
The base gross salary is CZK 40,000 (EUR 1,600) per month (average for CR is around CZK 35,000). This can be significantly increased by successfully proposed (inter)national project. This can be significantly increased by successfully proposed (inter)national project. In addition, considerable bonuses for publications in prestigious journals are granted by the faculty.
The full medical and dental care is also included in Czech health insurance.
The desired starting date is as soon as possible, and the applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
• Submission deadline: 10 February 2022
• Expected start: 10 March 2022
The position (full time job) is for an initial duration of one year, consequently it will then be extended (after evaluation) for at least two more years. The criteria for the evaluation will then be: (1) quality of submitted scientific paper(s) and (2) project proposal preparation.
To apply please provide the following:
• Cover letter highlighting previous research experience and explaining the suitability of the candidate for the advertised position.
• Curriculum vitae including a list of publications.
• Scan of the PhD certificate.
• Two reference contacts.